Saturday, May 5, 2012

The lessons I've learned from Play Doh

I like Play Doh, I really do.  I love the way a new can smells, I love the feel of brand new Play Doh squishing through my fingers, I like to make stuff and I love the Fun Factory thing.  Most people like Play Doh, but a lot of Moms say they hate it.  I used to be one of those women.

Long ago (it seems like forever) when Abby was still a tiny infant, a wise mother gave me some advice.  She told me "let the kids play with Play Doh."  She was pretty adament about it.  The point of her advice was that I shouldn't be so worried about keeping my house perfectly clean, but instead I should play with my kids, and spend my time making memories with them.

Okay, I thought, I am going to be the best mom, we will play with Play Doh.

Then kids happened.

Somewhere along the way, I learned to hate Play Doh.  But I didn't really hate it.  And yet, every time my kids asked, "can we play with Play Doh Mom? Please?" I cringed.  But I would hear that mother's voice in the back of my head, "let the kids play with Play Doh."  Begrudgingly I would dig out the Play Doh and set it all up, then fight with them, "no, no, don't mix the colors! Oh, don't let it go everywhere! Pick it all up, it's going to dry out!"

About 6 months ago I had a revelation, it's just Play Doh.  Does it matter if they mix the colors?  Not really.  If it falls on the floor I can just sweep it up, my floor needs a good sweeping anyway.  When it finally dries out there is more at the store, or I have the recipe to make more home made (doesn't smell as good).  There is no wrong way to play with Play Doh, so what if they aren't using the right colors for the pretend food.  Thankfully they are past the eating it stage, but it says non-toxic anyway.

This was like a light bulb moment for me.  It was so freeing.  Now we have tubs of blueish-green Play Doh and I probably throw out a small can's worth from sweeping up the crumbs off the floor every time we play with it, but we have fun.  I can sit down with my kids and make green elephants and purple spaghetti with the Fun Factory.  Now when I see Play Doh on sale at the store I get excited.  I love Play Doh again.  And more importantly, my kids do too.

When my kids are grown and have kids of their own hopefully they will still love Play Doh too.

1 comment:

  1. LOVE this post! I am a 'hate Play Doh' mom, but I am going to try to change my way of thinking. Helps that we no longer have carpet under the table- that was a nightmare! Thanks for helping me see the error in my thinking. :)

    ReplyDelete