Monday, November 14, 2011

Almost there...

Had the trial run down to PSL this morning.  We found the parking garage we DO NOT want to park in on Wednesday.  The Rocky Mountain Hospital for Children at PSL (that's their official name or something like that!) is heavy on the waiting rooms, and thankfully, bathrooms.  I love children's hospitals.  When I was in nursing school I was a clinical aide at The Childrens Hospital here in Denver, I loved that place, it's true that children are not just small people.

We met Dr. L, the surgeon, everything I had heard about him having a great bedside manner and being really friendly and knowledgable was true.  He explained at length all about the anatomy of her VSD and the repair and her recovery, it was wonderful.  Having all the info makes me nervous and then a little less nervous because I'm a planner and I like to know what's coming.  She had her ECHO, EKG and a bunch of lab work and Jeremiah and I took a tour of the hospital while she was having all that done.  Jeremiah and my Mom even donated a pint of blood each for the baby if she needs it during surgery.  They said it wasn't all that bad, maybe I will even be able to convince them to do it again sometime.

I feel really at peace about her surgery right now.  I'm sure I'll freak out later, and then be fine again and then freak out again and back and forth several times before Wednesday morning.  I keep placing my hand on her little chest, so smooth and perfect, I can feel her heart beating inside.  I don't want her to have a wound there, a scar to remind us of all this, but she will, and I'm sure that with time it will fade, just as some of the emotions surrounding all this will fade.  She will never remember her surgery, I'm thankful for that.

I have a list of things to do to occupy the time between now and Wednesday morning.  Laundry, packing, getting the house in order for me to be gone for awhile, spending time with Abby and Eli and Jeremiah.  On the agenda for tonight?  Dinner date with my husband to Ikea to look at new drinking glasses, ah the joys of an everyday life, I savor them!  Thanks Mom for watching the kids so Jer and I can spend a little time alone together.

Until next time...

1 comment:

  1. My heart aches for you Jill. I remember crying as I took photographs of Garin the day before his surgery wearing just a diaper....I needed pictures of his perfect body before he was made "new and improved"....now I hardly notice his scar, he however treasures it like the bravery award it truly is. Love you dear lady, my thoughts will be with you all xx

    ReplyDelete