Monday, November 28, 2011

The rest of the day on Saturday

So literally just minutes after I posted the last blog on Saturday Hannah decided to once again develop a complication.  She developed a pneumothorax, that's a collapsed lung, on the left side after they removed her chest tube from there.  It was partially collapsed and the ICU doc tried a few things to see if it would resolve on it's own with less intervention but they ended up putting in a different chest tube around 11 pm Saturday night.  This one is inserted in between her ribs, which I understand is a little more painful than the one through her abdomen, so she is back to receiving IV pain meds, but at least she is comfortable with them.

The other nice thing is that they let her start taking fat free breast milk.  There is a donor milk bank here at PSL and they have some milk available that has had all the fat removed, she loves it.  She was not taking the Tolerex formula very well and was so unhappy ever time we tried to feed her so we switched her over and it's like night and day.  Last night was the first time she had some, she guzzled down 2 1/2 ounces, burped and passed out, it was wonderful!  The ICU doc was a little hesitant about the breast milk, but a few of the nurses really pushed for it and I'm so thankful they did.  I have no qualms about donor milk, it's pasteurized and the moms that donate it have been strictly screened, I'm so thankful they have donated so she can have a delicious meal again.  The calorie count is different with the fat removed, so right now they're trying to figure out how to fortify it to bring it back up to the level she needs.  The bank won't use my milk, I'm guessing it would "potentially contaminate" their machinery, but that's fine with me, that means I may actually have some stored up when all this is over with!

Overnight her RA lines (the IV lines that went directly into the right atrium) started to leak so they pulled those out this morning.  Her only access is a peripheral IV in her left foot that we're guarding with our lives.  Her other various "connections" are her two chest tubes and her nasal cannula and her continuous pulse oximetry.  That count is way down from when she started almost two weeks ago.  So far her nurse Jenny holds the record for removing the most "stuff" from her, I gave her credit for the chest tube, JP drain, pacer wires and art line on Saturday.  She is pretty happy to hold the rank of leader.  See, it's not all stuffy seriousness around here.

Saturday night I had a mini break down but yesterday was better.  Christa came down and spent some time with me in the morning, I am so thankful for her, she is the best friend a girl could have.  Jeremiah and I had lunch in the hospital cafeteria, the food was good for a Sunday and then my mom and I took Abby to the Disney Store to pick out a princess dress to wear for their upcoming trip to Disney World.  Jeremiah and I went out to grab dinner at a pizzeria close to the hospital.  I didn't spend very much time here yesterday, but I really think I needed that escape.  I have been staying by her bedside day and night for almost her whole adventure here and I was starting to go a little crazy.  I'm even trying to figure out which night I can go spend at home this week.  I don't want to leave her, but she's fairly stable and the nurses take such wonderful care of her that I feel like one night away should be okay.

More pics:

Mmm, fat free breast milk with concentrated Tolerex, yum, yum.

All wrapped up and sleepy after her bottle.

No comments:

Post a Comment