Thursday, December 29, 2011

Top Ten of 2011

So it's the end of the year already (how did that happen?) and everywhere there are year end recaps and best and worst lists and so on and so on.  So what's one more?

Our top ten (in my opinion) Not in any particular order (except for number 1):

10. Abby playing soccer in the spring.  She played so much better this year and had more fun.  She scored a lot of goals (not that anyone keeps score!)

9. Watching/listening to Eli playing by himself.  He sings about what he's doing, he uses voices for the toys, he has sound effects, it's adorable.

8. Visiting my Dad's side of the family in Kansas City in June.  I love when all the little cousins (our kids) get together to play, they are hilarious.  I love seeing my Grandma.  I love the excitement of a road trip and staying in a hotel.  It just makes me wish we all lived closer together.

7. Getting the chickens.  There, I admit it, my husband was right.  I LOVE the chickens.  They were adorable as chicks in a box in the corner of the kitchen.  They are hilarious to watch in the backyard.  I love when the neighborhood kids show up at my door in the summertime with a grasshopper in hand and want to feed it to the birds.  I love getting fresh eggs.

6. Abby starting Kindergarten.  She is so adorable with her little backpack on.  I love hearing about what she's learning about and her new friends.  I love to watch her learn to read and write and do math and learn about the world.  I'm a little sad she is growing up, but I'm learning to embrace it.

5. The fall women's Bible Study at church.  We read "Feminine Appeal" by Carolyn Mahaney.  I got to know some other women at our church a little better.  I only wish I could have made it to more of the actual discussion groups, but I loved the book.  I hope we do more studies like this in the future.

4. This one is for the kids: Abby and Eli going to Disney World with my parents and my Dad's side.  Boy do I wish we had been able to go with them, I really looked forward to it all year long.  I know they had a great time because I've heard all about it.  I'm happy whenever my kids are happy.

3. My third and final pregnancy.  I know I complained a lot about being hot and uncomfortable and a lot of the pregnancy was bathed in worry, but I have always really loved having a little life growing inside of me.  The anticipation and excitement of "what are we having?" "when will she be here?" "who will she look like?"  Yes I'm huge by the end of my pregnancies, but I love having my big preggo belly and feeling and seeing the baby moving around.  And I learned to trust God more so than ever before during this last pregnancy.  My husband and I grew closer together, I learned to appreciate my family and the little things more.  My extended family, my church family and my work family rallied around me and encouraged me.

2. The birth of Hannah Joy.  I love giving birth.  Is that weird?  This one was particularly exciting, the doctor almost didn't make it!  I have only experienced that unbelievable rush of love three times in my life as I held my newborn for the first time.  I cannot explain it, but I will always remember the feeling.

1. Bringing Hannah home from the hospital for the second time!  I am so thankful for the surgeons, cardiologists, intensivists and nurses that cared for Hannah during her surgery and hospitalization.  I was thrilled to bring her home for her first Christmas.  And that first Christmas with my whole little family was wonderful.

Happy New Year everyone!  Here's to an exciting 2012!

1 comment:

  1. Hey mama - I'm so happy your 2011 ended on a good note! And I'm happy to hear things are going will with Hannah :) Buuuut my favorite is #7 --- the chickens made it into the top 10! That's somethin' :)

    ReplyDelete